Sunday 20 May 2012

Let's talk about equality.

I think it's time I did a post on something I feel very passionately about. Two nights ago, I ventured, with two of my guy friends (one gay, one not) to a gay bar/club. And it was one of the best nights I've had in a long, long while...
I have always, always, always believed in equality if that means race, gender, size or sexuality. Being homosexual is something that has never struck me as odd. I've always thought that it is totally normal and rational that two men or women could love each other and it completely baffles me when people think otherwise. Like, seriously. How on earth could love be wrong?! I don't get it. I don't get why some thick-headed, ignorant, self-obsessed people think that homosexuality is wrong. It's not. This is my opinion but also something I believe should become general belief. I have many gay friends and have ever since a young age and they have always been close friends of mine. I once got into a fight with some guys who were calling two gay friends of mine I was with offensive names. My friends told me to leave it but I was so full of rage, I just couldn't walk away. Nothing came of it other than my realisation that inequality is one of the most disgusting things in the 21st century and every century before it.
Likewise to racism, homophobia is unfounded and ridiculous. How can the colour of someone's skin determine anything about their personality or their right to life? It can't. We need to learn from past mistakes and make sure that the future generations of people know that equality is and should be (more thoroughly) implicated. Of course, there have been huge steps in progress towards equality over the years which is fantastic but still giant steps left to be made. The idea that one of my best friends can't get married anywhere he would want upsets me greatly and is fundamentally wrong. Leaders of countries around the world claim 'freedom' is ours to take but only to the extents they would happily allow. Freedom should be universal.
Back to my original story, we went to a gay club and it was amazing. I met some wonderful people and had a good old natter with men and women of all ages who had come to have a good time amongst people they felt comfortable around. Two years back, I went to gay pride near my hometown in Brighton. It was also one of the best days I had ever had. The feeling of unity, appreciation and most importantly pride was liberating and fantastic. Everyone had a good time and everyone got on side by side like they should every day of the week.
As homosexuality becomes more and more acceptable in some places, it is still unacceptable in some backward places. And people who are homosexuals live in daily repression and fear. We must work together to combat this inequality and fight for a better future.
Xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment